Spotify, Sir David Attenborough, Fortnite, The Guardian, BMW, Lacoste,
Condé Nast Spain, UNICEF, VICE, Night Sky, KLM and more
win European Internet’s highest honour
STORMZY, DR. SUE BLACK, MICHAEL DAPAAH (BIG SHAQ) AND ALEX BERTIE AMONG SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT HONOUREES
Full list of winners: www.lovieawards.eu
10 October 2018: Game of Thrones, Refinery29 UK, Nowness, International Rescue Committee (IRC), Burberry, Google, Expressen, WeTransfer, FC Milano Internazionale are named winners of The 8th Annual Lovie Awards, the most prestigious pan-European honour for online excellence. The Lovie Awards also named Hamburg’s Jung von Matt as Agency of the Year, based on the advertising agency that performed the best across all categories.
All winners will be saluted along with Lovie Award Special Achievement honourees Stormzy, Dr. Sue Black, Michael Dapaah (Big Shaq), Alex Bertie and more at The 8th Annual Lovie Awards, hosted by acclaimed BBC comedian Mark Watson on 15th November at BFI Southbank in London. All winners are showcased online at www.lovieawards.eu
The Lovie Award winners are selected by The International Academy of Digital Arts & Sciences (IADAS), which includes 500 of Europe’s best and brightest leaders in digital, including musician Imogen Heap, actor and writer Stephen Fry, “Father of Wifi” Vic Hayes, Lauren Laverne (DJ & Presenter, Co-Founder, The Pool), Mel Exon (CEO, The Sunshine Company), Corinne Vigreux (Co-Founder, TomTom), Facebook Chief AI Scientist Yann LeCun, and BBC Studios Global Director of Digital Marketing and Digital Studios Anna Rafferty. The People’s Lovie Award winners are determined by public vote.
IADAS also announced Special Achievement winners for 2018, honouring people in Europe who use the internet in exceptional ways. They are:
- Stormzy, Lovie Person of the Year: for his exceptional use of the Internet to blend music, art and social media to improve the lives of others. From his scholarship fund for black students at Cambridge to his successful #MerkyAirways campaign with Spotify Premium to launch #Merky, the imprint he created with Penguin Random House specifically to publish up-and-coming writers, Stormzy redefines art and activism for our digital age and continues to inspire millions with his ingenuity and dedication.
- Dr. Sue Black, Lovie Lifetime Achievement: for her pioneering contributions to the Internet and computing culture. From her successful work to save Bletchley Park and preserve a crucial piece of code breaking history, to serving on the government’s digital advisory board, Dr. Black is inextricably intertwined with the growth and progress of the Internet. With BCS Women and #TechMums, she has also consistently used her position to help women succeed and to reduce the gender disparity in technology.
- Michael Dapaah (Big Shaq), Lovie Award for Outstanding Comedic Performance: for using the Internet to create truly unique art, and embracing digital media as his go-to platform for experimentation with new forms of entertainment. From developing an enormous following with his #SWIL web series to redefining the meaning of viral with “Man’s Not Hot,” watched nearly 300 million times and counting, Big Shaq has demonstrated an innate connection with Internet culture that few creators share.
- Alex Bertie, Lovie Creator for Change: for his YouTube channel, which with remarkable openness and honesty, Bertie catalogues his experience in transitioning from female to male. His videos share his deeply personal experience and are a wealth of comfort and empathy for viewers going through a similar experience or simply seeking to understand others’ personal journeys.
- The Bureau Local, Lovie Be Greater with Data: for their outstanding use of data and the Internet to reimagine what journalism can be and accomplish in our digital world. By connecting member journalists from all corners of the UK community via their open resources protocol on Google Drive, Slack and GitHub,The Bureau Local’s reporting shines light on issues from both a hyper-local perspective and a national one.
- Hans Jørgen Wiberg, Founder of Be My Eyes, Lovie Emerging Entrepreneur: for using the real-time Internet to bridge the divide between sighted individuals and blind-and-low-vision individuals. With nearly 1.5 million sighted volunteers connecting with 95,000 blind-and low-vision individuals, in hundreds of countries and languages, Be My Eyes has created a global network of human beings connected through their phones by the desire to help and ask for help.
They join previous Special Achievement winners such as Jamie Oliver, Björk, Stephen Fry, Annie Lennox, Lily Cole, Yann LeCun, Livia Firth, Sophie Wilson, JR, Louis Pouzin, The European Space Agency and Dan Howell (danisnotonfire), among others.
“The Lovie Awards continues to honour and inspire the Internet culture in Europe, and this year’s winners truly embody the creative energy, entrepreneurial spirit and collective action from the community,” commented Nicolas Roope, IADAS Jury Chairman of The Lovie Awards. “From promoting equality to blending art and music to empowering local journalism and giving virtual eyes to the blind, our Special Achievement Honourees exemplify some of the best creative thinkers and doers using the Internet to make a positive impact on the world.”
Highlights from Entertainment, Media & Video winners in the 8th Annual Lovie Awards include:
- WeTransfer: The Bunt Machine – Short Form (Gold) – The Netherlands
- Jungle Creations: Little Casanova – Comedy (Silver and The People’s Lovie), Viral Video (Bronze) – UK
- Kolle Rebbe: #LifeChangingPlaces “Lofoten” – Unscripted (Gold and The People’s Lovie) – Germany
- NOWNESS: Captured Motion – Long Form (Silver) – UK
- Edelman: Blackout Track – Live Experiences (Silver and The People’s Lovie) – UK
- Condé Nast Spain: Europe II – Long Form (Silver and The People’s Lovie) – Spain
- Jung von Matt: The most German supermarket – Viral Video and Live Experiences (2x Gold), Public Service & Activism (Silver and The People’s Lovie) – Germany
- Shure & Mixcloud present – MAKING IT – Video Series (Bronze and The People’s Lovie) – UK
Virtual Reality + 360° Video
- Kolle Rebbe: PETA “Eye to Eye” – Best Narrative Experience (Gold and The People’s Lovie) – Germany
- BackLight: Diesel Only the Brave High – Branded Virtual Reality (Silver) – France
- Triple: Mixed Reality by Max: Dutch GP – Best Narrative Experience (Gold) – The Netherlands
- Google Creative Lab: Waymo 360° Experience – Branded 360° Video (Bronze) – UK
- Demodern: IKEA Immerse – Branded Virtual Reality (Bronze and The People’s Lovie) – Germany
- Austrian National Tourist Office/Österreich Werbung: Austria 360° KHM Vienna – 360° Video (Bronze) – Austria
- Reelmedia Film: The real price of water – Public Service & Activism (Gold and The People’s Lovie) – UK
- VICE Media: 10 Fragen an Spitzenpolitiker – News & Politics (Silver) – Germany
- ciao people: Dedicare una canzone alle prostitute – Public Service & Activism (Gold) – Italy
- Economist Films: Ocean: Troubled Water – Science & Education (Bronze and The People’s Lovie) – UK
- 20/20 Helsinki: Varjo – Mixed Reality real-time test shoot – Technology (Bronze) – Finland
- fischerAppelt: Ode to the Future – Music & Entertainment (Gold and The People’s Lovie) – Germany
- WING London: Jaguar Show Your Edge with Andy Murray – Sport (Bronze) – UK
- EURONEWS: 10 DAYS AT SEA: The Real Story of the Aquarius – Documentary (Bronze and The People’s Lovie) – France
- BBC Worldwide: BBC Earth YouTube Channel – Science & Education (Bronze) – UK
- In the NOW: Kindness is So Powerful – Viral Video (Bronze and The People’s Lovie) – Germany
- The Guardian – News & Politics (Gold and The People’s Lovie) – UK
- Dagbladet Magasinet: Codename: Igor – Best Writing/Editorial (Silver) – Norway
- Expressen: The terror siblings – Best Individual Editorial Experience (Bronze) – Sweden
- Barbican Centre Website – Cultural Institutions (Gold and The People’s Lovie) – UK
- Futurice Oy: Finavia Experience – Best User Experience (Silver and The People’s Lovie) – Finland
- Wealthsimple – Financial Services (Gold and The People’s Lovie) – UK
- Serviceplan Gruppe: SCARS OF DEMOCRACY – Best Design/Aesthetic (Gold and The People’s Lovie) – Ireland
- Vergani&Gasco: Creazioni Furniture – Best User Experience and Lifestyle (2x Bronze) – Italy
- This Page Amsterdam: Kaan’s Stream Store – Retail & Shopping (Gold and The People’s Lovie) – The Netherlands
- 4:3 by Boiler Room (Netflix of the Underground) – Music & Entertainment (Gold and The People’s Lovie) – UK
- MediaMonks: The Uncensored Playlist – Social & Community (Silver and The People’s Lovie) – The Netherlands
For the second year, Podcasts were honoured in The Lovie Awards. Select winners include:
- VICE UK: My First Time – Interview/Talk Show (Gold and The People’s Lovie) – UK
- Deutsche Welle: WorldLink: A clash of identity in Germany – Best Individual Episode (Bronze) – Germany
- BBC Radio 4’s The World at One: The Adoption – Best Series (Silver and The People’s Lovie) – UK
- Studio FoMO: Bezeten van Eten – Best Series (Gold) – The Netherlands
- George Ezra & Friends – Best Host (Bronze and The People’s Lovie) – UK
- The Economist Radio, The Economist asks: How is warfare changing? – Best Individual Episode (Bronze and The People’s Lovie) – UK
Other highlights of the 8th Annual Lovie Awards winners include:
- Dashlane 6 – Utilities & Services in General Sites & Apps (Silver) – France
- Inspire: Untire — Beating cancer fatigue together – Wellness & Lifestyle in General Sites & Apps (Silver and The People’s Lovie Winner) – The Netherlands
- iCandi Apps: Night Sky – Best Use of Augmented Reality in Mobile Features (Bronze and The People’s Lovie) – UK
- Noizio – Wellness & Lifestyle in General Sites & Apps (Bronze) – Ukraine
- Science Museum Group: Treasure Hunters – Family & Kids in General Sites & Apps (Bronze and The People’s Lovie) – UK
- Brand Station: UNICEF #NoPriceOnKids Public Service & Activism in Social (Gold and The People’s Lovie) – France
- Denkwerk: Art4GlobalGoals – Best User Experience in Website Craft (Gold), Best Practices in Website Craft (Gold and The People’s Lovie) – Germany
The Lovie Awards is supported by Google for the fifth year running as premiere sponsor, joining the Lovie commitment to shining a spotlight on the European Internet’s best and brightest. Supporting sponsors include WP Engine and The London EDITION.
View all the winners and news here: www.lovieawards.eu
About The Lovie Awards
The mission of The Lovie Awards is to recognise the unique and resonant nature of the European Internet community—from Europe’s top web and creative networks and content publishers, to cultural and political organisations and individual creators. Now in its eighth year, The Lovie Awards continues to celebrate the most resonant and pertinent stories in Europe. With nearly 1,500 entries from over 33 countries, The Lovies reflects the tremendous growth of the Internet as a tool for business and everyday lives. Work in English, French, German, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish and Italian is judged by native speakers in five main category types: Websites, Apps, Mobile Sites & Podcasts, Internet Video, Online Advertising and Social. Partners and Sponsors of The Lovie Awards include Google, WP Engine and The London EDITION.
+44 (0)780 990 6215